Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Third Week

Well, this is our third week in Ghana and I definitely feel like I am starting to get a hang of things. I definitely have a routine during the week which is nice. This is how my day goes during the week:

6:00 - Wake up and get ready for school
6:45- Leave for school, find a Tro-Tro (public transportation) to get me to school
8:30 - Arrive at school ... yes it takes almost 2 hours in a hot, sweaty, cramped van to get to school.
12:45 - Done teaching (I usually teach 2 classes per day)
Afternoon - I go to Osu most afternoons which is where the internet cafe is located as well as some good shopping
6:00- Dinner time
9:30 - Bed time!

It's so annoying to start your day with a 2 hour ride but I really shouldn't complain! Most of the kids in the school wake up around 4:00 to finish their chores at home before arriving at school for 6:30 where there are more chores waiting for them. In addtion to that, the kids hardly eat all day, if at all. The Ghanian people are THE most hardworking people I have ever encountered!!!! I think I would DIE if I had to complete all the tasks they complete in a day, especially in 30+ degree weather.

Today Kelli and I witnessed a teacher hitting the children with her stick. A few of the girls cried after it happened (it looked like it hurt) and it was really hard to watch. They were hit because they did not do their assignment properly. I am glad that we do not have this sort of punishment in the Canadian schools anymore as I can see that it would definitely do more harm than good.

Well! I have to sign off for now. Kelli and I are working on a "First Aid Seminar" that we are teaching to the school next week. In total, we will be teaching over 400 students about First Aid so we are trying to develop a good way to do it!

Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! 2 hours, and we complain about a long traffic light.

    Well, keep up the good work.

    Love Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to talk to you today for almost an hour! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of where you were last weekend. It sounds beautiful. I would have a really hard time watching how they discipline children there. I hope that they eventually get more westernized in regards to their discipline measures. That is so sad. I am sure you and Kelli will do an awesome job teaching first aid. Good thing you both took a first aid course. You will have a very exciting adventure this weekend. I will be thinking of you. Enjoy your last week. We are really looking forward to seeing you October 31!!!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete