Well!
So far we have had 2 days of school. The school we teach at is called "Osu Home JHS" and there are about 300 kids that attend the Jr High School. Yesterday consisted of us three (Kelli, myself and this other girl named Danielle) being introduced to all of the classes. On our way out of one of the classes, someone threw two rocks at me! I can't believe that I got rocks thrown at me on my first day of school!!!!! Hahaha... I am not sure if it was meant as something mean or if it was more to get my attention but either way we all got a good laugh out of it.
The rest of our day yesterday was spent marking essays on "why cheating is bad" I guess quite a few of the kids were caught cheating on their end of term exams last year so they all had to come up with reasons as to why it was a bad idea to cheat! Some of the essays were very good while others were not good at all (they were in English just in case you were wondering). It was hard to assign a mark to the essays as we were not given any "perameters" as far as what the marking criteria was. Some of the kids seem very proficient in their written English and the essays were nice to read!
Today we did a bit more marking (today's marking was easier as we just had to mark things as right or wrong - grammar!). We also were allowed to go watch a soccer game (this week they have inter school sports competitions). I think that this week will consist of more marking and observing the classes and hopefully next week we can start teaching our own classes. The headmaster seemed interested in having Kelli and I teach a "First Aid" seminar as we are both have our certification. The other girl who is with us (also named Danielle) is a lawyer (and has an MBA) and I believe she is preparing a presentation for the government on how to build your own business!
Things at the house are going pretty well. I think I will have my own room as of tonight! Woo hoo!!!
This weekend we are taking a tro-tro (bus) to a little village named Ada Foah. It is located where the big river in Ghana (Volta River) meets the Ocean. Apparently they have lots of weekend activties such as bon fires and other "cultural" things going on so all of us (I believe 10 of us all together) are going there for the weekend! It should be fun!
Well, I will be sure to update again soon!!
Bye for now, Danielle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment