Well!
Today we were allowed to teach!! Kelli and I taught a grade 9 English class. We taught them all about the internet. The class went really well and the children seemed to be quite attentive. I am glad we are at a Junior High School as there are some other volunteers here who are working at an Elementry School and they say that the teachers beat the crap out of the younger kids when they misbehave. Apparently the teachers are quite cruel to the younger kids!!
The volunteers at the Elementary School were also telling us that there is this one kid in their class that definitely seems to have some learning disabilities and apparently he looks like he is "slow" (from my understanding he has a very oddly shaped head and his eyes don't seem to look in the same direction).. but anyways, they were telling Kelli and I today that the teacher of the class called this boy to the front of the classroom and started to make fun of him in front of the other kids, calling the boy "stupid" and "ugly" and even pointing at his head and saying "look how big it is!!"- which in turn, of course, made the other kids "join in" on the fun and the kids then proceeded to laugh at him! That story made me SO sad!! What's even worse is that the volunteers who were telling us this thought the story was kind of funny!! That makes me sick to my stomach!! I want to go and steal this boy from his classroom and put him in my class and show this boy some love!
Tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) we (all of the volunteers) are leaving for the weekend to go to a small village called Ada Foah. It is located right where the Volta River meets the Ocean and apparently it is amazing! We will be sleeping in little huts on the beach and I can't wait.
I won't have internet access until Monday, so I will "talk" to you then!
Bye Bye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Danielle. Glad to hear things are working out so well for you and kelli. I was a little worried at first, but it sounds like you have a Fascinating posting.
ReplyDeletehave fun on your weekend away.
Enjoy the experience and take care
Love
papa
Hi Danielle,
ReplyDeleteThat is so sad to hear of how that teacher was treating the one child and how some of the volunteers thought that was funny. What is wrong with them? I can't believe that the volunteers would feel that way. They shouldn't be volunteering if they are like that. It is also upsetting to hear that they are abusive when children misbehave. It sounds like it is better to be with the junior high kids. How was your weekend living on the beach in the little huts? Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Love,
Mom